Tuesday, January 7, 2020

My first OFW adventure as factory worker in Saudi Arabia

I was turning 23 years old at that time in 4 months, we have been informed by neighbour friend sister Sharlene that a company has been looking for contractors or labour going to Saudi Arabia for work, then I was urgently chosen and we applied together with another neighbouring wich I become my friends from Brgy. Pasngal and other barangay. We are 6 who processes our papers and we have been urgently called for meetings and process making in Manila with the agency we have been applying but right now the agency have been Ban today so I can't state the name, maybe because it was now removed on POEA accredited agencies. We all passed the training exam and paper examinations, medicals and PIDOS the last seminar where we are informed and advise what to do and what not to do when we're working in Saudi Arabia because many people already know this if you don't know Saudi Arabia is one of the most sensitive and conservative countries in the world, but good news just this year they announced and I read in a newspaper they are going to OPEN the country for foreign influencers or "OPEN COUNTRY" like Dubai and other Arab nations, I thought this will never ganna happen, but hopefuly they are going to open the country for visitors wider because I think they are running out of oil and they can't forever base their wealth into gas or oil only, Ok let's proceed to my story - We've paid a lot for the application like 10,000 pesos for the recruiter and I will never forget that it's really bad but it's ok because I know that's her expensive talent fee, so we're 6 and everyone pays 10k so in total she got 60k and more on her big catch. Other's sell there livelihood carabao just to go abroad, that's very sad. It's my first time actually to ride in an aeroplane, very excited and confuse a little bit, My mother gave me 6,000 pesos I remember that and I change to the money changer so I can use RIYAL for my first month of working there. So much people came to our house just to tell me "INGAT" take care in English, I was thankful everyone supported me, then the journey begins, we flew afternoon maybe around 11:30 in the morning then we arrived at the airport in King Fahad International Airport early morning, we actually waited 3 hours after some people came and validate our visa and passport, that's ridiculous. When we got outside I didn't expect the weather it's so-called a December winter months yeah it's December 16, 2012, early morning we have been picking up by a company driver to send us to the company accommodation of course, and we met a lot of other workers, then Brother Marlou came the husband of sister Sharlene who helped us for the processes, yeah the one who took our expensive TF hehe.

On the exact month just a few days before Christmas they planned for a big celebration as we arrive 13 or more.

December 24, 2012 
Yeah, we enjoy the night and the Christmas, all Filipinos and some other nationalities join too. 


Do you see the one who's a wearing a jersey in a jacket at the left? I never expected that guy become my best friend until I was transferred to another city in Dammam in 2016, then we never met again, just on facebook


Billy boy! he's in Canada right now, very lucky, I'm talking to the man wearing dark blue and yellow short 2nd to the left




I thought we are only 6 who will be going in a single trip but other workers also ride with us so we are not the only 6 people arrive at the company, they are also from Pampanga, Bicol and other parts of the Philippines we only get to know each other when we're in that aeroplane flying. That was a good trip and a very big plane, I think that was the Boeing 747-468


I have been struggling in the winter at that time, really cold and I only have 1 jacket but I think that time I should wear 3 jackets that's how really cold in Saudi Arabia when winter, but it's also very hot in summer and moderate months start from March, April and May are the summers, then June July has normal temperatures and August September October is very hot with extreme humidity, Every day we do the same routine for 2 years starting from waking up in the morning, shower, then eating our breakfast then into the factory with the shuttle bus. After work, we go to the Bakala or Market to buy staff and foods to cook for dinner then a little internet browsing after eating after that we sleep then it repeats again and again, however, every payout days we go shopping and bonding with another co-worker away from work so we can refresh our minds and body in a day.


The first mobile cellphone I brought for my self, I send money in the Philippines for my mother and little things we Filipino usually do.

Years past I develop my self and confidence, I got many friends helps and I feel not alone because of them, we show everyone kindness like brothers and sisters, going abroad when you are single is better because I see some of them struggling controlling situations like wife angriness because they thought in the Philippines there husband here is playing around and courting other women which is impossible, what a sad moment for them, anyway that's not my story I just wanna share so you know.

2013 exchange rate was 1 riyal is = to 11-12 pesos sometime it came down tremendously, then it goes up which we are happy when to happen, of course, the higher the value the higher they receive 

So this is a sample receipt from Enjaz bank when you send through Western Union


And this a sample receipt when you send using Wire Transfer



In 2014, we are very happy because Enjaz Bank just open a remittance bank in our location which is in Sanaya 2, which means 2nd Industrial City Dammam, before we do go in the city just to send our remittances and shop at the same time but for does who just want to send their money to the Philippines, they will no longer be tired as I remember right now and telling you this. In that location, they also open a new Market which is cleaner as new and more mosque has been established, fish market and a lot of restaurants, oh I almost forgot there is also a Filipino restaurant there when I leave the place in 2016, I was promoted then to the office, then they transferred me in a hotel in Rastanura which I started a new journey to a new world again.



What you see above picture is the Mudon lake in Sanaya 2/2nd industrial city in Dammam.



This picture took in 2014 at Dammam Corniche

I was happy that I was transferred that was august which is very humid and I was saved from humidity because the workplace was airconditioned and it's really funny for who relates right now.

I start my day with a prayer and executing a job of a receptionist is not that easy and a secretary of the CEO and an HR all over because the hotel has lack of employees so I do my best to be the leader in that hotel named: Rastanura Luxury Suites




No comments:

Post a Comment